- > About Us
- > CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility)
- > Improving Access to Healthcare
- > Activities in Yunnan, China
Activities in Yunnan, China
In China, the medical services available to children and mothers can vary greatly by region, and this situation has resulted in child mortality rates that are anywhere from two to five times higher in rural areas than in urban areas. Moreover, roughly 40% of children under the age of five in rural areas display stunted growth. For this reason, there is an urgent need to improve the capacity of healthcare workers in rural areas to respond to child illnesses while also increasing the ability of local residents to react properly to such illnesses.
In 2015, Daiichi Sankyo embarked on a project aimed at improving access to medical services in six townships in Guangnan County in the Yunnan province of China. This area has a particularly high number of children suffering from developmental disorders, and we hope to contribute to better health for these children as well as their mothers through this project. Together with Plan International, this project will be carried out over a five-year period through collaboration with government health authorities and mother-child healthcare institutions.
Accordingly, Daiichi Sankyo is supporting activities in the aforementioned regions for cultivating healthcare workers capable of contributing to better healthcare for children and mothers and for providing healthcare education to local residents.
Goal 4: Reduce child mortality
Goal 5: Improve maternal health
|Target (five-years)||To improve health and nutritional conditions of children under the age of five in impoverished areas where ethnic minorities reside through improvement of the healthcare system.|
(1) Mortality rate, under-5 (per 1,000 live births)
baseline 18.9 *→ target 15
(2) % of Caregivers who have proper knowledge on exclusive breastfeeding (among all interviewed caregivers who has children under five)
baseline 3.5% → target 30%
(3) % of Caregivers who have proper knowledge on food to anemia prevention (among all interviewed caregivers who has children under five)
baseline 10% → target 50%
*data published by Guangnan County
The following initiatives will be implemented in six townships (approximately 60,000 households) in Guangnan County, Yunnan Province.
(1) Developing medical professionals in community healthcare through training on integrated management of childhood illnesses
(2) Offering education to improve the capability of local pediatric care by establishing a community center
|Period||2015 - 2019|
|Partner||NGO Plan International Japan|
|The Third report (February 2, 2017)|
|The second report (November 4, 2015)|
|The first report (July 27, 2015)|